Monday, July 8, 2013

The Author's Signature

I stood, waiting, with over 200 others, as Khaled Hosseini made his way into the studio. I had never attended an author talk or book signing before. It was moving to hear this famous novelist read from his latest book and fascinating to listen as he described the writing process. Khaled talked about how, as he picked up his pen, his characters sometimes veered off in a direction not quite intended for them. But even though that happened, Khaled, as the author, always knew how the story would end. And word by word, page by page, chapter by chapter, everything fitted together and the story- his creation, was written.
When it was time for the book signing, I stood in turn and the author smiled as I stepped up to greet him. He turned to the title page, the very beginning of the story, and with a quick flourish, penned his name.
If God is the author of our story, I imagine that he pens his name at the very beginning of our lives, and quietly watches as our pages turn. And even though we may sometimes veer off in a direction not quite intended for us, God, the author and creator, always knows the ending...
and the best part is, that it is a happy one.

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith.
Hebrews 12:2

3 comments:

  1. Awwwwe, yes indeed. Sometimes we do veer off - experienced that myself a good many times - but when you get back on track, its the most happy life ever. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenys...you are an inspiration to me! I love what you are doing here!! Johanna

    ReplyDelete