Monday, February 6, 2012

Little Hands

Yesterday morning, I was commissioned as a Stephen Minister.

I stood at the front of the church, along with two other friends, and after listening to the liturgy, and responding appropriately, we were asked to turn and face the altar as hands were laid upon us...hands from the congregation that would send us out into the world to be a blessing to others.

It was truly a special moment for me...because the hands that commissioned us belonged not to adults, but to little children.

Several boys and girls, all of different ages, were invited to lay their hands on us as the pastor prayed. I could not see them, but I could feel their chubby little fingers on my back. I could hear their little whispers. I could sense Jesus.

What a privilege to be reminded that being involved in children's ministry is not really about me being able to bless children... but about Jesus, using little their hands, and their little whispers, to bless me. 

A little child will lead them. Isaiah 6:11

4 comments:

  1. The part you didn't see - I had a wonderful vantage point sitting up in front! Your Sunday School students who must have felt honored to be a part of the ceremony and rushed to be the ones to lay their hands upon your back! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Glenys what a blessing to see you, Carol and Dave being commissioned as Stephen Ministers, but what an even greater blessing to see the hands of the children reaching out to you all. I stood holding the hand of a little boy while he reached his hand up! David

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete