Monday, October 31, 2011

And then Came the Fall...

One of the reasons why my husband and I fell in love with our home was because of the trees.

We bought our home in the spring and watched in delight as all the maples, oaks and lilacs in both our front and back yards sprouted different colored buds, blossoms and leaves.

Our delight continued throughout the summer, as those same trees brought much needed shade to our deck. And then came the fall...

The trees are still beautiful, the colors still breathtaking, the sight of the golden carpet that adorns our driveway still brings a smile to my face, but the raking is endless.


After another back breaking trip to the compost heap, hauling a tarp full of leaves that must have weighed almost as much as myself, I found myself wondering...how could it possibly be that those single, tiny, insignificant leaves, with an individual weight of almost nothing, could combine together to weigh so much?

When I'm tempted to feel insignificant, and I find myself wondering if my efforts in children's ministry will ever amount to anything, I'm going to remember those tiny, weightless leaves and the tremendous weight of them when combined together.
We are not in ministry alone.
Together, you and I can make a huge difference.

3 comments:

  1. I really appreciate how you consistently are able to draw profound insights from the routine things that happen around you. This is a great and inspirational skill! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt...you will never know how much I needed that encouragement today! God is good. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete