Monday, July 29, 2013

Little Free Library

I am out walking in a pretty Portland suburb when something unusual catches my eye. In someone's front yard a small wooden box is attached to a tree. It looks like a cute little house, with windows in front and a sign that reads 'Little Free Library.' 
Intrigued, I step over to investigate and discover that this is, indeed, a little free library...two shelves of books, for both adults and children, completely free to take. So I sit on the little bench for a while and browse, and pick out an engrossing novel, which I have already completed. What a wonderful concept! 
I visit the website and discover that Little Free Libraries can be found all over the world, each seeking to fulfill a two-fold mission: to promote literature and the love of reading by building free book exchanges worldwide and to build a sense of community as they share skills, creativity and wisdom across generations. 
And as I make my way back home, with my wonderful free find tucked under my arm, I cannot help but think about the ultimate Little Free Library..66 powerful books rolled into one, beginning with Genesis and ending with Revelation, and what a privilege we have to encourage children to 'borrow' from this library...the ultimate source of creativity and wisdom that reaches through all generations.

2 comments:

  1. I would love to have one of these free libraries by the door of my apartment.

    ReplyDelete