Thursday, June 28, 2012

Is VBS Outdated?

If you are involved in children's ministry, you may have heard debates about the value of Vacation Bible School, or conversations questioning its relevance for today. Can a model that has been around for so long really be effective? Having just completed a week of VBS at our church, here is just a snapshot of what I saw, heard and felt... 
During the course of this week, I have seen leaders leading with passion and grace; teenagers volunteering their time with love and energy; new families welcomed with smiles and warmth; children with eyes and hearts wide open to God's love; and little brown hands holding white ones. 
I have heard the sounds of laughter and giggling; of singing and praying; of whispering and shouting; of 'oohs' and 'aahs' as children discovered something new about God's wonderful world, and His even more wonderful love for them. 
Most of all, I have felt the undeniable presence of the Holy Spirit, moving amongst us as we sang; as the pastor passionately told the story of Jesus, and little children spontaneously ran out to the front to answer his call... 'who will follow Jesus?' I felt moved and convicted as their voices, in unison, replied, 'I will, I will.' And it makes me raise my voice with theirs, and affirm again His call on my life, that 'I will, I will.' I will go wherever He leads me, into the world, to take the good news of Jesus Christ to the children who need to hear it.
Is VBS outdated? Not for me; not for those children; not for those teenagers and adults who attended with me this week. It is a powerful, effective ministry and I thank God that I could be part of it.
Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Mark 16:15 

11 comments:

  1. Nancy Sells PufferJune 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

    Thank you Glenys... what a wonderful blog! Brenna had an amazing week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Nancy!... It was so great to have her be part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I don't think VBS is outdated. I believe for many young ones this is where the seed of salvation is planted. We see kids at VBS that we don't see any other time of year! I believe that week is of great eternal value!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have participated in 2 VBS programs these past 2 weeks and I observed children love to hear Bible stories and learn Bible verses - 263 verses recited throughout 1 week. Also the blessing of 3 community churches spreading God's Word together. All to honor God and to bring others to Christ. I wish we could do it every week of summertime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are are Such a blessing for this children and I agree with you. Teaching children about Jesus is not outdated. Thanks for sharing this and for the Nice comment in my site. Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susie

    I miss having VBS. Our church hasn't had it for 2-3 years. Problem?: we are a very small church,35+- people on Sunday morning. 6-8 children.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susie...has your church ever thought of combining with another church or churches in the community to offer a joint VBS? This has tremendous advantages for everyone involved, especially for a smaller church. Check out this article that I wrote on this subject at the link below & please contact me if I can help you with trying to organize this...I really have a heart for smaller churches so I would love to help you in any way I can. Blessings!

    http://www.ministry-to-children.com/why-you-shouldnt-do-vbs-alone/

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, it is not outdated but we need parents to realize it is more important than sports and other activities. VBS is a wonderful christian experience for all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the reminder that the Spirit of God controls the efficacy of VBS. Our plans and good intentions usually amount to little but the Lord still makes miracles happen.

    ReplyDelete