Saturday, November 13, 2010

What I Wanted To Be.....

Always an avid reader, one of my favorite books when I was a little girl was 'The Famous Five' by Enid Blyton. I loved nothing more than curling up with 'Five Go Adventuring Again.' I would disappear right into those pages and imagine myself as one of the five... visiting a farmhouse on our latest adventure and being fed a wonderful picnic of ham, pork pies, hard boiled eggs, and ginger beer...all lovingly prepared & served by the bustling, cheerful farmer's wife. And so naturally- this is what I wanted to be when I grew up- a farmer's wife. Sadly, I never did become a farmer's wife. I can't even cook that well. But I think I did become a farmer of sorts....the sort that carries a big bag of seeds & works in the field of Children's Ministry.
We who teach may never know if our seeds fell on good soil. We who teach may never reap that golden harvest. But we who teach have the amazing privilege of sowing that good seed, which we then entrust to God, who will water, nurture and grow what we began. I do not know what you wanted to be when you grew up...but if you are serving in that fertile field of Children's Ministry, I do know that you are where God intended you to be. So keep sowing, 'for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.' Galatians 6:9

7 comments:

  1. I wanted to be a pharmacist when I was growing up. My father was a teacher, science teacher, and I always thought it so noble of a job but I wanted to be different and use my science background elsewhere. I never became a pharmacist, first a chemist, then landed a marketing job, now planning events. Throughout the years, I think the most rewarding job(s) I had was when I volunteered for over 2 years at the Center of Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, Georgia, volunteered at Fernbank museum as a tour guide and the few months I worked at the Center of Diesease Control. Now, I just want to put all of my energy into my photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you are SO creative at that Natty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Glenys... :) Can't wait to read your next blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I began in Medical Social Work with an emphasis in Children with Life Threatening Illness. That took me from working in prevention in the inner city, to music therapy through Kindermusik, and now at Trinity. Through it all the common thread has been the well-being of children. I have been blessed to follow on this journey.
    Thank you Glenys for being there.
    Nichea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I love working with you Nichea! You are so gifted...I think God was leading you on that journey & used every one of those jobs, including all the skills you learned and all the experiences you had ,to bring you to ministry at Trinity.
    And we are the beneficiaries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to visit your church - it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete